How Do I Obtain a Marriage license?
Marriage License filing Requirements in Cedar County, Missouri
· Both applicants must visit our office together to apply for a Marriage License.
· Be 18 years of age or over.*
· Present a valid government issued picture lD and Social Security Card.
· Pay $51.00 cash fee at the time of application (sorry, no checks).
· Parent or guardian for consent (age 16-17) ($1.00 fee applied).
A Marriage License is only good for 30 days from the date of issuance in the state of Missouri. You get the license the same day of application. There is NO 3 day waiting period in Missouri.
After your Marriage:
Name change and Marital Status (female)
A certified copy of your marriage license is required by Social Security to change your name. You can obtain a certified copy of your license in the following ways:
1. At the time of application for your license, you can prepay $9 (cash) for a certified copy of the license. As soon as the license is returned to us, we will mail you the certified copy.
2. Send a written request to:
Recorder of Deeds
113 South Street
Stockton, Mo, 65785
Include a check for $9 payable to Recorder of Deeds along with the names of theparties. Upon receipt we will mail a certified copy to you. The license must have been issued in Cedar County.
3. Call our office at 417.276.6700 ext. 246 or 247.
Return and Record of Marriage:
The person performing the ceremony must complete the left portion of the license, have two witnesses sign it, and return the completed license to the Cedar County Recorder of Deeds office within 15 days after the wedding. The license becomes a permanent record. (The right portion is the Marriage Certificate that is filled out by the minister and is retained by the parties as evidence of the marriage).
Blood relatives, down t-0 and including first cousins, may not marry under the laws of the State of Missouri. Applicants (a male and a female) must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. Persons between the ages of 16 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Parents or legal guardians must give consent in person (at the time of application) and have proper identification and proof of custody if divorced or never married. If legal guardian is giving consent, a certified copy of guardianship papers must be presented.
Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. Persons divorced less than 30 days may apply for a marriage license if they acknowledge, in writing, they understand the divorce can be appealed or set aside within 30 days by the court of jurisdiction.
Copies are available as soon as the marriage license has been returned to our office.
Plain Copy: $1.00
Certified Copy: $9.00
Military Purposes: No Charge